Broken Arrow Flea Control

Flea Control

Action Pest Management

Broken Arrow Flea Pest Control

 

Fleas are one of the most annoying pests to deal with. They are small, wingless, flat insects with long claws on all three pairs of legs, reddish-brown in color, and have biting mouthparts. They can be very hard to spot because they move so fast on an animal’s body.

 

There are an estimated 2,000 species of fleas worldwide and more than 300 types are found in the United States. The most common species is the cat flea, which often feasts on cats, dogs, and humans. 

 

Fleas are external parasites that feed off the blood of birds and mammals. They normally feed on the blood of animals, but they can also feed on the blood of humans. Fleas have flat bodies and strong legs allowing them to jump long distances. They travel by jumping from one person or animal to another. In fact, fleas can jump as high as 8” vertically, which is 150 times their own height. 

 

Fleas can be a major nuisance in and outside of your home. If you’ve owned a pet, you may have had an experience with fleas. Once a flea hatches and becomes an adult, it uses its powerful legs to jump onto a host, where it likely remains at all times. While attached, the flea will feed, mate, and lay eggs. The eggs often fall off the host into bedding, carpeting, blankets, or into the yard. 

 

Their saliva is an allergen that can cause allergic reactions in pets and humans. When fleas bite, they leave an extremely itchy, swollen, and unpleasant bite behind. They can also transfer tapeworms and cause anemia in pets and are dangerous in your home because they can transmit serious diseases including typhus and tapeworms. 

 

Signs of a flea infestation include:

  • Your pet scratching, licking, or biting their fur excessively
  • Fleas hopping on you or your drapery, carpet, or furniture
  • Dot-like insects in your pet’s fur

It’s estimated that 5 percent of an infestation is attributable to adult fleas hosted by your pet. The remaining 95 percent is likely the eggs, larvae, and cocoons spread throughout your home which means you have to tackle the problem from all angles in order to eradicate the infestation. You’ll need to treat your pet and its environment at the same time, which may include your whole house or yard. 

 

Eliminate Fleas Around Your Home and Business

 

Fleas have the ability to reproduce at a high rate which means an infestation can be difficult to control. They can produce as many as 400 to 500 offspring in their lifetime. A flea infestation needs to be treated aggressively.

 

If you discover fleas in your home, call Action Pest Management for Professional Pest Control. 

Be on the lookout for:

Contact us to with all of your roach extermination needs!

    For all your pest control needs.